Get Crunk with Jesus

The Internet's first and only blog where some random guy writes at erratic intervals about music, movies, politics, culture, living and working in the city or whatever other random aspect of modern life happens to strike his fancy that day. Tell your friends!

Friday, February 24, 2006

The Ringer

So a few weeks ago, Karen and I were trying to catch a cab. We flagged one down, and in typical New York City cabbie fashion it darted across two lanes of traffic and cut off a bus to get to us. I know that a lot of people hate how reckless cab drivers can be, but frankly I applaud it. When a guy is willing to risk his life and the lives of all those around him for a $5 cab fare, well, that's a level of customer service almost unheard of on the East Coast.

Anyways, as we're getting in the cab, this guy on the sidewalk starts yelling at us. I hadn't even noticed him before, didn't have anything to do with him, but suddenly he's screaming at us: "What are you doing, flagging a cab in front of a bus? What's wrong with you?"

So I turned to him as I was ducking into the cab and I said back, all cool as hell, "I don't know what's wrong with me, but at least I'm not a fucking nutjob like you, so I've got that going for me." It was awesome.

I mean, okay, it wasn't exactly the greatest comeback ever. I'm not going to pretend it was perfect. But I actually yelled at some guy, and my comeback was instantaneous, and it was at least a bit more clever than just saying "fuck you." Compared to most times in a similar situation where I'd either shrug my shoulders and say nothing or I'd think of the perfect comeback ten minutes later, it was pretty impressive. I felt so New York City, like finally I'd made it and I was really adapting to the environment here. Like, how far has this kid from small town South Dakota come? Far, dude. Real far.

The afterglow from the moment lasted a block or two. As I was coming down, I started thinking more and more about it, and that's when I came to a troubling realization: the man on the sidewalk was retarded. I turned and asked Karen, and she confirmed it.

So now I'm a guy who yells profanities at retarded people in public. I guess that's my new thing. The thing is, the guy had it coming. He started it! So there's that. But still, it's not exactly the sort of thing I should brag about. I probably still will, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home