Get Crunk with Jesus

The Internet's first and only blog where some random guy writes at erratic intervals about music, movies, politics, culture, living and working in the city or whatever other random aspect of modern life happens to strike his fancy that day. Tell your friends!

Monday, April 10, 2006

Overheard at the Wolf Parade Show Last Night

Saw the Wolf Parade show last night at Webster Hall, which was a scorcher. (More on that TK...) The opening act was a band called Holy Fuck. They were...I don't know, kind of a noise jam band or something. I liked their sound and generally enjoyed the show, but with the exception of their closing tune I felt like their songs didn't actually, like, go anywhere. Then again, I've never really been a big jam band fan. It's good for a song to stretch out and work out some variations, but for the most part that's just not my thing. So don't take my lukewarm review on them as necessarily a bad thing--your results may vary.

I don't know why I'm apologizing here for not loving Holy Fuck. I think I'm worried that maybe Holy Fuck's mom is going to read this and I'll feel really bad, and the comments section will be all this stuff about how I don't know how hard it is to make Holy Fuck music and it's real easy to tear stuff down but real hard to actually build something nice and I should try that sometime and see how I like it when someone goes on the Internets and makes fun of something I tried really hard to make.

Anyways, this isn't about my subjective review of Holy Fuck, who, in fairness, seemed like really nice guys and, with maybe a little more control from, say, a strong producer (the DFA?) they could be really excellent.

So before the last song, an Overheard with the two fratty guys standing next to me.

Lead Singer from Holy Fuck: "Thanks for coming out tonight. We're from Toronto and we don't come to New York all that often."
Dude #1, yelling: "Good! You suck!"
Dude #2: "Hey man, that's not right. I like these guys, they're pretty good."
Dude #1: "Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm sorry I insulted them."
Dude #2: "Don't apologize to me, apologize to the band."
Dude #1: "Go fuck yourself."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home